A work in progress of my self portrait.
When I started, it was a mess. I didn’t like how it looked and where I was going with it. The first thing I did was apply charcoal to the hair. Then I went to the shirt. It was more of a rough looking black texture before the image above. After Started slapping charcoal on places where shadows were. It didn’t feel right. I was worried I would not enjoy this other project. I am comparing it the the Skeleton and Chair projects we did. Those were fun, relaxing, and gained new skills.
However, things changed when I had help from a classmate. He taught me how some new ways to apply charcoal to the paper. With his advice, I started from the bottom and worked my way up. I completely made the shirt black like in my picture. The neckline isn’t finished, but it is a start. I mimic that shadow line and others. The lips drew most of my attention. To my surprise, the in progress results are satisfying to say the least. The different values creates form. I can say the same for my nose too. While writing this I realized that the nose is developing the form like in the picture. The darkness becomes less saturated as it goes from right to left.
I still have ways to go, but after the weekend I’m glad I was able to get feedback from my classmates. They pointed me in the right direction to make this into something great.
So far, I have put a little over three hours into this piece.